Thursday, February 13, 2014

Fiction Packet

    The story that touched me most in the packet was the one on the first page titled "Survivors". To me, it was the easiest to relate to and understand. The story was about two homo-sexuals lovers who both were dying of HIV/AIDS. I came to such a conclusion because they talked about T Cells and that's mostly related to the disease. The lover was talking about how he didn't want to die first because he didn't want to have to take care his lovers bird and hear from his lovers family. He just felt that it would be way simpler if he died first. This story was very sad, I feel like it played at our emotions.
    This story also talked about how the lovers family would blame him for the death of his lover and how they would disgrace his home. Towards the end of the story, the narrator talks about freeing the bird, I think that he feels as if it would help him get rid of the the pain quicker, just in case he doesn't die first. I feel as if the author of this story has had experience with this situation, or has seen it happen in some type of way or another.
    When they mentioned the Parrot in this story, that alone provoked a lot of emotions. The first thing I thought was "Why is this bird so important?". Then I thought about the fact that parrots are colorful and one of the symbols for gay pride is the colors of the rainbow. This may or may not have had anything to do with it but it's  just something that I thought of. The parrot was a small symbol in this story that carried a lot more weight than it may appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment